Monday, September 18, 2006

Nutrition Alley

My job requires me to be alert and attentive at all times. I am a Registered Dietitian currently working as a Physician's Assistant in another field of health care. Working in health care is very challenging. It is necessary for me to listen to my patients carefully and to provide them with the best care possible. Every day I do something necessary to carry out my daily responsibilities: I eat breakfast.

Today we are all too quick to run out of the house in the morning without eating breakfast. Many of us live busy lifestyles and don’t consider breakfast to be an essential part of the day. What we don’t think about is our body’s need to start the day off right. I like to call it fuel for the day.

Our bodies need food for energy. Without it, we become weak and lethargic. Individuals who eat breakfast are more aware of their surroundings and have less difficulty carrying out their daily responsibilities. People that do not eat breakfast are more irritable and unpleasant throughout the day. I don’t know about you, but I would like my family and coworkers to think of me as pleasant. So get off to a good start. Eat breakfast and your body will feel the difference. You will have more energy and most of all, so will your brain.

Breakfast should be a well-balanced meal containing a starch, meat, fruit, vegetable, and a dairy product. Ideally we would all have one hour a day to devote to making a homemade breakfast and then sitting down to eat it. This might include French toast, pancakes, waffles, eggs, and of course, freshly squeezed orange juice. Realistically, you may have to leave the big projects for your days off. Here is an idea of a quick well-balanced breakfast:

- Oatmeal (1 min. to prepare; 1:30 min. in the microwave)
- Scrambled Egg Beaters (No prep, just pour. 5 min. in a standard frying pan)
- Add vegetables to the Egg Beaters. Buy a frozen package of mixed vegetables.
- A container of yogurt (No prep, just eat)
- Cup of orange juice (Not freshly squeezed)

If you multitask while making this breakfast, it should take you no longer than 5-7 minutes. You will even have time to sit down and enjoy it.

Erin Burns
Registered Dietitian

No comments: